2022 Summer Camp Offerings
In our online computer programming camps, students create and share their own custom video games and animations during a week-long coding class. Experienced teachers host daily small group classes live for 7-12 year olds Monday-Friday, arranged by age group and driven by personalized attention for each student’s original projects. Kids find our camps fun and supportive — and they love seeing and socializing with other kids as they develop their own creations!
Scratch Camp! (ages 7-12) – New to coding? Veteran Scratcher? Our class ratio of 1 teacher : 6 students ensures that everyone will be supported regardless of their coding experience. We make learning coding fun, by letting your child write their own, unique computer game, based on their own ideas. We’ve found that supporting true creativity through coding gives kids a sense of joy, freedom and power that they can’t really get “In Real Life”. This creates a hunger to learn more! Then, the social aspects really come into play. Kids love sharing their creations, and cheering each other on to learning more. Nothing feels more like victory than the adoration of your peers. Our daily show and tells and teacher led challenge projects help provide inspiration when needed.
EARLY BIRD PRICING
- Camps meet Monday through Friday for one week. They last two hours per day. We have 2 different start time options–Morning or Afternoon.
- • 1 week of camp, 2 hours per day: $349 Choose either morning or afternoon sessions.
- • 1 week of camp, 4 hours per day: $598 Combines morning and afternoon sessions for an all day experience, and includes a $100 discount on the afternoon session.
Don’t wait– early bird pricing may end at any time.
- High speed internet connection (cable, dsl, or LTE hotspot)
- Windows or Mac computer.
- Chromebooks work in a pinch, but have limited Zoom functionality.
- Speakers and a microphone (most laptops have these built in)
- Webcam (most laptops have these built in.)
- If you don’t have a built in webcam, you can join the meeting a second time with a smartphone or tablet, and prop it up to use as the camera. We need to see each other’s faces to teach effectively, so we use Zoom. Click here for detailed technical requirements.
If you have any questions at all, e-mail parentsupport@creativecoding.
- Fun! The most important thing is to make sure the kids are having fun, and fully engaged with their own creative project. We celebrate successes and mistakes. It’s all a part of their coding adventure. If they’re having fun as they create, we literally cannot stop them from learning!
- Creativity. Every class confronts your child with the question “What do you want to make?” Then we help them do it! Nothing is more exciting than your child’s own ideas. Every session is a non-sequential learning experience driven by their own project.
- Teaching Kids to Teach Themselves. Our teachers engage with students over video chat, and are trained to see non-verbal signs of frustration. They aren’t there to give answers, but to lead your child through the process of finding answers. By jumping in at the right time with effective questions, your child will discover and create their own solutions for bugs or new features. We are teaching them to teach themselves.
- Persistence. Coding is hard. Your child will fail a million times before they succeed – but it feels incredible when they face adversity and emerge victorious with a solution they discovered on their own! Our teachers give students guidance during this emotional cycle and help them navigate barriers. After taking our class, your kids will get excited about facing a tough problem because they’ve developed a taste for success. They’ll think, “Wow this is really hard… and it’ll feel GREAT when I succeed!”